My laptop, which is my primary computer for daily use, is a Dell 1545 which came with Ubuntu. It works fine, and I’m a believer in “if it ain’t broke etc.”
Linux can be especially dicey as regard wireless, because many makers of wireless devices do not make Linux drivers or, if they do, they do not make good Linux drivers.
And the wireless in this thing works great, so I’m not touching it.
For a long time, I’ve wanted to write some posts on Geekazine about installing and using Slackware (you can read them here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, and Part 6). As part of doing that, I upgraded one of my old inherited desktops to Slackware Linux 13.0 and configured it up.
The main thing I have accomplished is to remind myself of how much I prefer Slackware to any other flavor of Linux that I’ve tried. It is a little more difficult to get running, but a lot easier to maintain and configure.
The last challenge was getting Opera to run. It installed without errors, but, when I tried to start it, it didn’t.
So I opened a terminal window as root and started it from the command line, like this:
It threw an error message that it needed the file libqt-mo.so.3.3.8.
The whereis command revealed that there was no file in a default Slackware Linux 13.0 installation whose name started with libqt-mo.so.
I teleported into my Slackware Linux 12.2 box and found the file. In fact, I found about six files whose first name was libqt-mo.so. I scp’d them all over to my Slackware 13.0 box to the /usr/lib/qt/lib directory, which was the name of the directory in which I found them on the 12.2 computer.
Still no luck. Opera continued to complain that it could not find the file in /usr/lib/opera/10.10.
Never one to use a scalpel when a hammer would do, I muscled them right into
Bingo! Opera ran.
It’s busy synchronizing itself right now.